Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Steampunk Soul

It has been a while since I have made a page for my book, so I decided to make this little 6x6 piece.  I was inspired by all the lovely feedback recently received on my book cover!  Thank you for affirming my creative spirit.  I think this will be the "title page" of my little challenge book.




This is my first attempt at a hybrid challenge piece.  I loved that I had two requirements to use in the project.  I combined lovely Linda's Grungy Monday challenge along with Simon Says Stamp and Show's weekly challenge.  Linda requested the use of Ranger alcohol inks as inspired by Tim Holtz. SSSS asked their followers to create something with a word.  Well as you can see, mine has two words...I hope this is acceptable!

I started out with an embossed piece of chipboard.  I did some great coloring with distress inks.  The gears were die cuts given to me, I sprayed them with Glimmer Mists and layered them on in a pleasing formation.  Small metal gears were attached to provide more texture and interest. 

The letters were eyelet type things that I failed to figure out how to correctly apply with my tools.  Instead, I altered them a bit in the back and glued them on.  I like that it gives a bit more depth to the lettering and I accept the imperfection (not really, but I am trying!) 

The winged heart was made from my vintage Spirofoil.  I used both silver and gold pieces.  The red heart was colored with a direct application of alcohol inks.  I combined three different colors to achieve the look.  Don't you just love the rich dark color?  The wings were left their natural silver and the background heart, the natural gold. You will also notice that I used several embossing folders on my foil elements to provide more depth and character.  A reproduction clock face, a gear and a spinner add a steamy touch to the heart.  A final spritz of water and a moment with the heat gun and I called this one done.

16 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Rhea, what do you use as the foundation for your chunky book pages? I think this is just a divine idea for challenge projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, it depends on the page honestly. This one is a really thick piece of chipboard and I have not done the back yet. Sometimes I use cereal boxes (or other recycled cardboard), or several layers of cardstock. Whatever I do, I make sure it is super sturdy, as I use a lot of metal and embellishments and the pages are quite heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night. Do you have my address?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful, SG! Especially the foil! Hope you have tons of it. ;-)
    OD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. The distress inks and the mist on the gears were done really well.
    Thanks for entering Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge--Renee, Simon Says Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rhea,

    You continue to make very cool things with your steampunk genius.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay metals!!! This is gorgeous! Great texture too : )

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. RHea this is fabulous! I love your backgrong and the metal pieces that add contrast to your work! Great job with this weeks challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful steampunk piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, another beauty! Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great book page! love the heart and gears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love those metal letters and modern feel of this canvas.
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Love it! You are an inspiration to me.
    thank you. I am working on two projects as well trying to get organized. There is hope right???
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful design...I absolutely love what you did with the heart...it's a real stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhea, This and your cover is beautiful. I'm wondering how you embossed the chipboard. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh but your attempt really worked out just great, wowzers love your project and your word is fabulous. Thank you for joining the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show Hugs Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!