Thursday, January 19, 2012

Farstarr's Mail Art Journal

Quite some time ago I started a round robin journal with a small private group on Swapbot.  It did not go as planned, but at least I finally got my book back.  For that I am grateful.  I have not sent it back out to have the other seven people work in it, because I am afraid it will not return.  I am, however, keeping up on my end of the deal and working in others books.  Since my journal is mail art themed, I have offered participants to send me a bit of mail art for me to add to my book tip in style. 

This book comes from Mandy, aka, Farstarr.  She and I have been swapping mail art in some form for a while now.  She has a love for fish and science as well as all things postal and vintage.  I think the book she altered is actually a moleskine.  It is getting really fat and full of character already.  I hope she does not mind...I added a bunch as you will see!




The cover and inside few pages were created by the owner of the journal.  I love Mandy's use of vintage ephemera and stamps.  I could not resist adding this German scrap fish to the front.  I am hopeful she does not mind that I added this here. 





I got a little carried away on the inside cover too.  I had some stickers that I thought would go really well with her journal, so they found their way on the page too.  Each page I worked on has an imprint of a vintage Via Air Mail stamp.  I thought this was a clever way to "sign" the page, without being obnoxious. 



This is the first spread I did.  It was quick and easy to do since Mandy sent along an envie of dreamy ephemera with her book.  I did find though that the pages I did with her stuff look very similar to the other entries, so I later ventured into my own stash to switch it up.




I just had to use the vintage picture that was in the ephemera envelope.  I love the look of an old photo.  A simple label was added to the top of the page, I titled it "day 365."  Hopefully the owner appreciates this nod to her Mail Art 365 project. 




This page is filled with simple collage and scraps from my work table.  The guppy was in Mandy's stash, and I added a cute title after taking the picture.  It will just have to be a surprise for the owner.




This page also had a few additions post photos due to composition issues.  It was too dark to retake them when I realized this.  Bring on the longer days for better blogging!  Anyhow, I also decided to cover up the surfer, as the owner of this book really does not like people in her art.  Don't worry Mandy, the surfer is gone!




This background was left over from one of my first swaps on the bot.  I thought it was a nice addition to the book, something different.  I also added a few scraps, some used stamps as well as some artistamps I had in my stash. 



And here is my final spread.  This layout is much different than my usual style.  I embraced the straight lines for once.  Here I used an old letter, some vintage ephemera from my own stash as well as a few of Tim's salvage stickers to finish the page.  I love the small envelope glued on the page.  I enjoy having interaction in my work if I can add it.

Since this week's challenge over at Simon Says Stamp and Show is to show off "anything besides a card," I am going to link it up.

I hope you enjoyed seeing inside of this wonderful compilation of mail art!

Cheers, 

Rhea 

2 comments:

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!