Monday, June 11, 2012

Altered Dress Form

A few weeks ago I posted here about a creative challenge I was about to embark on and this post showcases the results.  I was offered an opportunity to alter a dress form, with the chance of it traveling for the next year at the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo shows throughout the United States, if selected. 

7/14/12:  I am so pleased to report that my Industrial 
Glamour Girl was chosen!!!!!

The project is entitled Runway Re-View, and the challenge was to use repurposed items and not spend more than twenty dollars on materials.  Since the challenge this week on Simon Says Stamp and Show this week is "Anything Goes," I am going to enter this there as well.




I would gather that the value of the stuff I used on this was right around ten dollars.  The dress is made from embossed aluminum tape from the hardware store I had on hand.  I grunged it up with black gesso by painting it and wiping off the excess. 




To add a bit more bling, I added a belt made of an old chain and a broach.  I am always on the hunt for old jewelry on the cheap at flea markets and estate sales.  I recently went to my first auction and that was even better as far as affordable altered art supplies, but I digress...  To take the sheen off of the chain I used a bit of black Guilders Paste.  I am in love with this product, I want it in every color.   It is hard to see, but I also spritzed the dress with Perfect Pearls mists.  These work really well on metal. 




The bottom was embellished with a few bits I found on a half off sale in the wedding section of a big box store. I really loved the little sprays of wire and gems.  A few light bulbs were also added to go with the industrial feel and add a whimsical element. I detailed the trim of the dress in a black sequin trim I had on hand, although I have no recollection of ever getting it. 



I hope my little industrial gal is chosen to travel.  Perhaps some of my readers will actually get to see her in person, that would be cool.  No matter what, it was a fun experience to participate in and it really challenged me artistically.   


Cheers,

Rhea

19 comments:

  1. This is very cool. I love the light bulbs mixed in with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Rhea!!! And what a great way to use the products - very creative and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I like the combo of industrial and glam ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Love the addition of the lightbulbs within the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Rhea.... this is amazing!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I double-clicked on the first pic and saw all that amazing texture and detail. She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely amazing--good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is one styling' gal. Industrial chic for sure. I wish I could have met her before she flew the coop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is incredible. I looked at the form before reading what you used and I could have sworn you were hammering metal and were using steampunk pieces. Couldn't figure out how you got it so smooth. Thanks so much for the details. Lovely piece - hope you win!

    -Martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning, simply stunning! All that wrap was tape! Amazing! You have got a God given talent, keep up the fun. OD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your creative mojo was really working for you on this... it's beautiful and great technique to boot... success is yours...Cathwren

    ReplyDelete
  11. How in the world did you emboss the tape? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you are busy making a wearable version! At least as a vest for yourself...You can wear it when you give a workshop in this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Rhea, I am thrilled to see your girl selected to go on tour! You are so deserving of this! The Original Sewing & Quilting Expo is gonna have blips of the other dressforms. I have seen them! WOWZER is all I can say as there is no two alike. Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool!! Congratulations - it's a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very, very cool. I can see why they chose it!

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!